East Taylor Township was incorporated in 1884 and houses roughly 2700 people. It is a fairly rural area considering its proximity to Johnstown and the size of the land parcels in the area. The main road carving through East Taylor is William Penn Ave. In previous years, Wm. Penn Ave. was designated US-219 from downtown Johnstown to US22.
That changed in the 1960s with the new US219 four-lane expressway opening up new sections just a few miles east. When this happened, Wm. Penn Ave. was stripped of the US 219 designation and picked up the PA 271 Designation in Park Hill.
The area contains some churches and a few local businesses including automotive shops, a salvage yard, restaurants, and a crafts store.